Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 23 (02-10-09)

Wow. I’m bald. I can’t stop rubbing my head. It’s very distracting. We officially passed the equator today around 3:15pm…And now we’re in the Southern Hemisphere. I’ve never been here before, so that’s exciting. First thoughts: well, the water at 3:17pm looked curiously similar to the water at 3:12pm. And the water in our toilets is sucked down via some aircraft-grade suction system, so I can’t even test to see if it swirls down the drain counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. I’ll look into it in Namibia. We’re losing another hour tonight. This losing time deal is more exhausting than you might think.

On our voyage with us, we have a woman by the name of Lavinia Crawford-Brown. For the past 22 years, she has been the personal assistant to the Archbishop Desmond Tutu in South Africa. She retired on December 31st, and she and her husband have come along for the ride. Tonight, Lavinia spoke about her time with the Archbishop, giving insight into the man behind the image. SAS really gets the most eclectic group of professors and lecturers on this ship. It’s crazy.

A friend of mine had her birthday tonight and we did a scavenger hunt in celebration. I am proud to say that I am now 1 and 1 as far as scavenger hunts go. I avenged my loss last time with a big win this round. Granted, not a single one of the participants this time around was carried over from last time, but it made me happy to know I didn't lose two in a row. Whatever.

Day 24 (02-11-09)

I don’t even know how I spend my time anymore. I had 3 classes today, so that occupied about 4 hours. I went to all 3 meals, so that was another 2.5 hours. It was really nice outside (83 degrees and nothing but sunshine) so I napped on the top deck for about 2 hours. Did some studying for an hour. Well that’s 9.5 hours. And I started at 8:15. Now I’m not a math major, but I think that takes me to 5:45pm. And it’s just after midnight now. That leaves me with over 6 hours unaccounted for. Who knows. Maybe I napped for longer. I’d say I might’ve underestimated on my study time, but let’s be honest…it was only an hour. There weren’t even any committee/club meetings tonight that I had to go to. Craziness. I’ll have to start keeping a more detailed list of things that I do on a daily basis. Walks aimlessly around ship smiling at people: 11 minutes. Stares at ocean deep in thought, half amazed and half terrified at the sight of water stretching infinitely out into the horizon: 19 minutes. Pop tart break: 6 minutes.

Oh! They took a picture of all the newly bald people in the Union tonight. That actually took up a significant amount of time. I knew I must've been missing something.

But as far as all of the miscellaneous things go, I might actually write them down someday. Just to see. Psh, who am I kidding? Goodnight everyone.

Day 25 (02-12-09)

Sleep. Class. Sleep outside. Lunch. Class. Meeting. Volleyball Game. Dinner. Lecture. Meeting. Snack time. Sleep.

Busy, busy day. We lose another hour tonight, which means we are now +7 hours of the East Coast, +9 of Boulder. So if the hour of my posts/e-mails keeps getting stranger and stranger, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment